As schools, businesses, and restaurants comply with new operating requirements around the state, I want to ensure you and your family have access to all resources – local, state, and federal -- should your access to meals be disrupted.
GENERAL RESOURCES & INFORMATION:
- CLICK HERE for information about the USDA’s Food Nutrition Service’s (FNS) efforts.
- CLICK HERE for information from the Food Bank of Northern Nevada.
- CLICK HERE for a comprehensive list of local food pantries in your area. (This list includes multiple food pantries for counties across CD-2).
- The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) has also announced a feeding program partnership in rural areas in response to COVID-19. CLICK HERE for more information.
- CLICK HERE for meal locations and pickup times from the Nevada Department of Agriculture (NDA) and from individual districts. If the meal sites were to be shut down, the second tier implements USDA foods through the Emergency Food Assistance program, supplying household foods instead of prepared meals.
- CLICK HERE for a comprehensive list of school’s food pickup locations broken down by county.
SENIORS: Meals on Wheels will continue operating. We will keep you updated if we learn of any changes regarding their operation. See below for specific information regarding Meals on Wheels and where seniors can access food in their area:
- Washoe County: Seniors will have access to meals through the home delivery service or from a drive-up pickup site through April 6.If you would like to refer a senior to the Home Delivered Meals program, click here for the referral form. If you have additional questions, please contact Meals on Wheels at: (775) 328-2575.
- Carson City: Seniors will have access to on-site lunches via drive-thru, M-F, 11-2pm. Delivery services will operate as normal and case management will be available by phone appointments. Please call the Carson City Senior Center at (775) 883-0703 for more information.
- Churchill County: Seniors can schedule a meal pick-up or by calling the William N. Pennington Life Center at 775-423-7096. Meals will be available for pick-up M-F from 11:00-12:30pm at the front of the Center. If you need meals delivered, contact the Center at 775-423-7096 to be placed on the Meals on Wheels Program.
- Douglas County: To sign up for Meals on Wheels delivery, you will need to call the Douglas County Senior Center at 775-783-6455 and complete a brief phone assessment. Please check back or call 775-782-5500 ext. 1 for more information on how services will continue to be provided.
- Elko County: The Terrace at Ruby View, Senior and Active Lifestyle Center is hosting a drive by meal to replace their congregate meal effective March 16, 2020 until further notice. Elko residents who normally ride the bus to the congregate meal program will be moved to Meals on Wheels until further notice. For questions, contact 775-738-3030.The Open-Door Senior Center in Carlin is going to deliver meals to replace their congregate meals effective March 16, 2020 until further notice. For questions, contact 774-754-6465. The Silver Sage Senior Center in Wells will be delivering meals and can be reached at 775-752-3280.
- Eureka County: The Senior Centers will continue serving the senior citizens by delivering meals during this time. Please call the Fannie Komp Senior Center to learn more about how they will accommodate pick-up and delivery of meals at 775-468-0466. The Eureka Senior Center is delivering meals to all seniors and can be reached at 775-237-5597 for more information.
- Humboldt County: The Pleasant Senior Center will continue delivering meals to senior until April 6th. Please call 775-623-6211 or visit their Facebook page HERE for more updates.
- Lander County: The Senior Citizens Center in Battle Mountain is still delivering meals and operating a drive-up system and can be reached at 775-635-5311. The Austin Senior Center will be operating a drive-thru for meals and can be reached at 775-964-2338 for more details.
- Lyon County: Senior Centers located in Dayton, Fernley, Silver Springs, and Yerington are temporarily closed, but meals will still be provided via delivery or drive by meal pick-up. Dayton Senior Center can be reached at 775-246-6210, Fernley Senior Center can be reached at 775-575-3370, Lyon County Senior Services can be reached at 775-577-5009, Silver Springs Senior Center can be reached at 775-577-5014, and Yerington Senior Center can be reached at 775-463-6550.
- Pershing County: The Pershing County Senior Center will be closed until March 30th, but they will continue to deliver meals to congregate clients at home. If you need help arranging meals, please call the Center at 775-273-2291.
- Storey County: Both the Virginia City Senior Center and Lockwood Community/Senior Center are operating their Meals on Wheels program as usual and operating drive-thru service at both locations. The Virginia City Senior Center can be reached at 775-847-0957 and the Lockwood Community/Senior Center can be reached at 775-342-2840.