Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Community Resources

Note: we will continue to update this page regularly as additional resources become available. 


The Small Business Association is currently working to bolster their services as they prepare to deal with a high volume of cases from people needing immediate assistance.  Click through the links below for helpful information from the Small Business Association:


For those needing assistance or to apply for welfare services through the Department of Health and Human Services Division of Welfare and Supportive Services, CLICK HERE.

  • The Division of Welfare and Supportive Services provides food assistance benefits (SNAP and WIC), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF, cash assistance), and medical and child care assistance through ACCESS NEVADA.
  • Please call (775) 684-7200 to be connected with a representative from the Northern Nevada offices.


CLICK HERE to file an unemployment claim. This service is available online to Nevadans 24/7. The Nevada Department of Employment Training and Rehabilitation (DETR) has extended the hour of its unemployment lines from 8 AM PT to 8 PM PT Monday through Friday. 

  • Northern Nevada: (775) 684-0350
  • Rural Nevada: (888) 890-8211

Information for Claimants (Información en español)

Information for Employers


  • Employees legally permitted to work in the United States
  • Have completed federal I-9 process
  • Employer must have paid into the UI Trust Fund

At this time, independent contractors are not eligible to file for unemployment insurance benefits.  However, the state is working with its federal and local government partners in seeking a potential resolution with regards to a possible accommodation.

What information is required to file an unemployment claim?

  • Names, addresses, phone number(s), and dates you worked for your last 2 employers.
  • A list of names (corporate name) of all employers you have worked for in the last 18 months.
  • If you are not a citizen of the United States, you MUST have your Alien Registration number and expiration date
  • If you have been discharged from the Military in the last 18 months, you MUST have a copy of your DD-214
  • If you have worked for the Federal Government in the last 18 months, you MUST have a copy of your SF-8 or SF-50

Maximum duration of benefits: You will receive up to 26 weeks (6 months) of benefits.

Maximum Weekly benefit amount: $469.

Additional information:

  • Register for UI by filing your initial application to receive benefits. Upon completion of registration, a confirmation number will be displayed as confirmation registration is complete.
  • Your claim begins the Sunday of the week you first file an application to receive unemployment benefits.
  • Claimants will be expected to submit weekly filings to alert the state you are still unemployed. The filing week is Sunday through Saturday. Filing can be done any day of the week, available 24/7 online.
  • A determination letter will be mailed via USPS to claimants with amount to be claimed, or notification of scheduled adjudication if more information is required to process your claim.
  • A Bank of America visa debit card will be sent to the address on file within 7 -10 business days. Activate your card immediately by contacting the bank’s customer service number and selecting a PIN.
  • The initial 7-day waiting period has been waived by gubernatorial directive, so funds should be available to claimants as soon as you receive your debit card.

Instructional videos on the above available on You Tube at:

DETR encourages filers to review the videos before utilizing the telephone.

  • Visa Debit Card Call Center 877-829-4130 or
  • For forgotten PIN, username or password visit our website or call:
    • 775-687-6838 – Northern Nevada
  • Technical support for online UI Claims –

Informational materials are available on the claimant site at under “Helpful Resources”  For information regarding the filing process, eligibility, reporting requirements, and benefit rights, please refer to the Nevada Unemployment Insurance Facts for Claimants booklet .  For information on how to navigate the site, please refer to the Claimant Guide to Online Filing



As schools, businesses, and restaurants comply with new operating requirements around the state, I want to ensure you and your family have access to all resources – local, state, and federal -- should your access to meals be disrupted.


  • CLICK HERE for information about the USDA’s Food Nutrition Service’s (FNS) efforts.
  • CLICK HERE for information from the Food Bank of Northern Nevada.
  • CLICK HERE for a comprehensive list of local food pantries in your area. (This list includes multiple food pantries for counties across CD-2). 
  • The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) has also announced a feeding program partnership in rural areas in response to COVID-19. CLICK HERE for more information.


  • CLICK HERE for meal locations and pickup times from the Nevada Department of Agriculture (NDA) and from individual districts. If the meal sites were to be shut down, the second tier implements USDA foods through the Emergency Food Assistance program, supplying household foods instead of prepared meals.
  • CLICK HERE for a comprehensive list of school’s food pickup locations broken down by county.

SENIORS: Meals on Wheels will continue operating. We will keep you updated if we learn of any changes regarding their operation. See below for specific information regarding Meals on Wheels and where seniors can access food in their area:

  • Washoe County: Seniors will have access to meals through the home delivery service or from a drive-up pickup site through April 6.If you would like to refer a senior to the Home Delivered Meals program, click here for the referral form. If you have additional questions, please contact Meals on Wheels at: (775) 328-2575.
  • Carson City: Seniors will have access to on-site lunches via drive-thru, M-F, 11-2pm. Delivery services will operate as normal and case management will be available by phone appointments. Please call the Carson City Senior Center at (775) 883-0703 for more information.
  • Churchill County: Seniors can schedule a meal pick-up or by calling the William N. Pennington Life Center at 775-423-7096. Meals will be available for pick-up M-F from 11:00-12:30pm at the front of the Center. If you need meals delivered, contact the Center at 775-423-7096 to be placed on the Meals on Wheels Program.
  • Douglas County: To sign up for Meals on Wheels delivery, you will need to call the Douglas County Senior Center at 775-783-6455 and complete a brief phone assessment.  Please check back or call 775-782-5500 ext. 1 for more information on how services will continue to be provided.
  • Elko County: The Terrace at Ruby View, Senior and Active Lifestyle Center is hosting a drive by meal to replace their congregate meal effective March 16, 2020 until further notice. Elko residents who normally ride the bus to the congregate meal program will be moved to Meals on Wheels until further notice. For questions, contact 775-738-3030.The Open-Door Senior Center in Carlin is going to deliver meals to replace their congregate meals effective March 16, 2020 until further notice. For questions, contact 774-754-6465. The Silver Sage Senior Center in Wells will be delivering meals and can be reached at 775-752-3280.
  • Eureka County: The Senior Centers will continue serving the senior citizens by delivering meals during this time. Please call the Fannie Komp Senior Center to learn more about how they will accommodate pick-up and delivery of meals at 775-468-0466. The Eureka Senior Center is delivering meals to all seniors and can be reached at 775-237-5597 for more information.
  • Humboldt County: The Pleasant Senior Center will continue delivering meals to senior until April 6th. Please call 775-623-6211 or visit their Facebook page HERE for more updates.
  • Lander County: The Senior Citizens Center in Battle Mountain is still delivering meals and operating a drive-up system and can be reached at 775-635-5311. The Austin Senior Center will be operating a drive-thru for meals and can be reached at 775-964-2338 for more details.
  • Lyon County: Senior Centers located in Dayton, Fernley, Silver Springs, and Yerington are temporarily closed, but meals will still be provided via delivery or drive by meal pick-up. Dayton Senior Center can be reached at 775-246-6210, Fernley Senior Center can be reached at 775-575-3370, Lyon County Senior Services can be reached at 775-577-5009, Silver Springs Senior Center can be reached at 775-577-5014, and Yerington Senior Center can be reached at 775-463-6550.
  • Pershing County: The Pershing County Senior Center will be closed until March 30th, but they will continue to deliver meals to congregate clients at home. If you need help arranging meals, please call the Center at 775-273-2291.
  • Storey County: Both the Virginia City Senior Center and Lockwood Community/Senior Center are operating their Meals on Wheels program as usual and operating drive-thru service at both locations. The Virginia City Senior Center can be reached at 775-847-0957 and the Lockwood Community/Senior Center can be reached at 775-342-2840.